Building D/j (Smith/Nailers Shop)
Things you need to know about Buildings D and j before you use the data:
- Measurements are in feet and tenths of feet.
- Pi-Sunyer did not use screens for artifact recovery. During Kelso's excavations, both sites were carefully hand-troweled and screens were not used for artifact recovery.
- Pi-Sunyer used a parallel and cross-trench method, digging two long 2-foot wide trenches running parallel to Mulberry Row with short, perpendicular cross-trenches that intersected the long trenches at varying intervals. When structures were evident, he exposed the floor area for study. His excavations were backfilled and in many cases later identified and reexcavated by Kelso. The artifacts Pi-Sunyer recovered are not cataloged with the project at this time.
- Kelso excavated both buildings using the "Wheeler Box" method. Building Dwas excavated using 8-by-8 foot quadrats with 2-foot baulks. Building jwas excavated using two different sizes of units. Modern strata and fill were removed using 8-by-8 foot quadrats with 2-foot baulks. The occupation layer was removed using 4-by-4 foot quadrats with 2-foot baulks.
- In the DAACS database, the Smith and Nailers Shop project, which includes Buildings D and j, is designated as Project "113". Artifact ID numbers for artifacts associated with the project therefore begin with the 113 prefix.